I used github to make blogposts. It was good for a number of reasons: it dealt with authentication; I could make and preview posts anywhere; it helped me back up my posts; it started the static site generation; readers could fork the repo and make changes to posts. I was proud of this system and used it for nearly a decade.
But making a blogpost was rather laborious--I needed to login to github, go to the repo, create a new file, write the meta data and markup--but acceptable since the site was used to dump technical notes that I would reference later. But it still felt lacking.
It felt lacking since I'd made a static site generator that I liked. I'd made two previous versions of my static site generator. I was proud of these systems, but after I got them generating my site I rarely wanted to use them to modify and enhance my website. They were altogether too complex.
But I'd made a system simple enough that I wanted improve my website. And this meant more and different content. But there was one thing missing: an input system that was as functional as github, but also pleasant to use, not just to dump technical information, but pleasant to sit and write prose with.
And this meant moving away from, and replicating, github's features and functionality; an exciting, but not necessarily trivial, task.